New San Francisco Bed Bug Laws
Why Are Bed Bugs Biting in San Fran?
Bed bugs are most prevalent in cities that have large urban area’s and many travelers – like San Francisco! That’s because bedbugs travel on clothing and in luggage & they use humans and other mammals as hosts.
Bed Bug Avoidance Tips for San Francisco Landlords
The San Francisco Department of Public Health has already changed the landlord requirements for control of bed bugs two times in the past 5 years, and they are doing it again – this May! Here are some changes that they are proposing and considering requiring landlords to abide by:
- Landlords who provide a mattress and box spring in a unit, must also provide appropriate bed bug proof encasings
- Landlords provide bed bug prevention guidance to new tenants
- Landlords who offer short term rentals may be required to search for bed bugs each month!
What Can I do to prevent bed bugs?
The top 3 bed bug prevention techniques out there are:
- Know what bed bugs look like and where they are likely to hide. If you think you may have bed bugs, you can watch this informative video for signs of bed bugs.
- Travel Smart – Know how to search for bed bugs and what bed bugs look like. Use this information to search for bedbugs on your next vacation.
- Purchase scientifically tested bed bug proof mattress covers and travel encasements.