Bed bug infestations are stressful for anyone, whether you are a tenant or a landlord and no matter where you live.
Recently, we have received many calls from landlords in New York state exacerbated that their tenant has just complained that they have bed bugs. While these bed bug search and elimination tips may be helpful for anyone who suspects bedbugs, this post is geared towards New York State Tenants and Landlords in such a situation.
- Know the law: While we do not offer legal counsel, there are many laws about bed bugs in apartment buildings. A full list of bedbug laws in NYC can be found by clicking here.
- Find a Pest Control Company: It is the landlords responsibility to get the apartment checked for bedbugs. Many times other bugs, such as carpet beetles or dust mites can be confused for bed bugs. You can find exterminators using the Find Pest Control tab on Bedbug.com’s website or simply click the image on the right. NOTE: All exterminators listed on Bedbug.com have been verified, and many even have coupons for free bed bug inspections or reduced price treatments!
- Check for Bedbugs: Use your chosen exterminator to get the apartment in question checked for bed bugs. If that apartment does not have bed bugs, please skip to step 6 below.
- Eliminate Bed bugs: If bed bugs are located, bed bug treatments to eliminate them must be initiated. Be prepared that killing bed bugs is often expensive, typically between 400 and 1,000 dollars.
- New NY law! Landlords are responsible for checking adjacent apartments for bedbugs. While this is not extremely common, this is a new law in New York State because bed bugs have been found to crawl from one apartment to the next, especially in cases of heavy infestations.
- Encase Mattresses and Laundry: Consider bed bug mattress and clothing encasements to prevent any bed bug scares in the future. This may also add a sense of security for both yourself and your frazzled tenant, and help to patch up any residual tensions from this episode. NOTE: When purchasing bed bug encasements, make sure they have been tested and certified bed bug proof and look at the warranty – entomologist testing and lifetime warranties typically indicate confidence in the preventative abilities of the encasement product.
- Bonus Step: Bedbug.com coupon code! We know how hard bed bug detection and killing bed bugs can be; both emotionally and financially. Well, we’re here to help ease this in whatever ways we can. Just for reading this article, you get access to our highest 15% coupon code to be used by you and/or your tenant for your entire order at Bedbug.com checkout – Just click on SAVEAF15 and remember to enter ‘SAVEAF15′ as your coupon code at checkout.
Good luck with those critters and we hope these tips have helped you to sleep just a bit more secure tonight!